Male Breast Reduction Surgery (Gynaecomastia) in Melbourne, VIC
Boost your confidence with a safe and effective male breast reduction procedure at our Melbourne clinic
Gynaecomastia, commonly referred to as ‘man boobs’, is a condition in which men have enlarged breasts due to an increase in the amount of breast tissue and fat. The excess tissue may be on one side (unilateral) or on both sides (bilateral). A respected plastic cosmetic surgeon in Melbourne, Mr Maxwell specialises in male breast reduction surgery or gynaecomastia, which may be caused by:
- A physiological condition occurring at puberty and in older age, due to increased sensitivity of the breast tissue to circulating hormones
- Usage of certain therapeutic drugs
- Use of anabolic steroids or growth hormone in body builders
- A testicular or pituitary tumour
- Genetic conditions
- Various other medical conditions
At Maxwell Plastic Surgery, some patients present with ‘pseudo-gynaecomastia’ where the breast enlargement is due to an accumulation of fat rather than true breast tissue. This group responds well to liposuction alone. On the other hand, ‘true’ gynaecomastia requires removal of the actual breast tissue by surgical excision combined with liposuction of the fatty component.
For surgical consideration, all patients with gynaecomastia must have a full medical assessment performed. To discuss your options with a male breast reduction procedure or any other male plastic surgery options, please do not hesitate to contact us on (03) 8849 1462 for a personal consultation with Mr. Maxwell.
Get the Male Breast Reduction Guide
Performed under general anaesthesia, the surgical approach is via an incision which follows the margin of the bottom half of the nipple/areola complex. Following removal of the breast tissue/fat and cauterisation of any bleeding points, suction drains are inserted and the incisions closed.
- A firm compression garment is then applied and worn for two to four weeks depending on how much liposuction has been performed.
- The drains are removed 48hrs – 72hrs after the procedure.
- The patient is reviewed in the rooms 10 days after the surgery – Some tissue fluid may have collected in the subcutaneous space, ‘seroma’, and may need to be drained off in the rooms on several occasions before it resolves.
Before and after male breast reduction results achieved at our Melbourne clinic
To learn more about gynaecomastia and if a male breast reduction surgery may be of benefit to you, please schedule a consultation with Mr. Maxwell today.
NEXT STEPS for a Consultation
- Book your Initial Surgery Consultation
- Email us or Call on (03) 8849 1462 to arrange your surgeon consultation appointment.
- A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful but NOT essential
- Book a consultation with your Surgeon by paying the Consultation Fee (usually $250)
- Visit our FAQs pages, if you have any questions
What to Bring to your Plastic Surgeon Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
Please contact us using this form to arrange to book a consultation with Mr Maxwell or to speak with our Patient Care Advisor. OR Send an enquiry form today or phone (03) 8849 1462 during Clinic Hours.