Breast Augmentation Surgery in Melbourne, VIC
Achieve total body confidence with a breast enhancement procedure at our Melbourne practice by Specialist Plastic Surgeon, Dr Richard Maxwell.
Breast enlargement cosmetic surgery remains one of the most popular requested plastic surgery procedures across the globe. Equipped with the latest surgical techniques, Specialist Plastic Surgeon Mr Richard Maxwell uses the latest cohesive silicone gel or saline breast implants, to safely enhance and create full, shapely feminine contours.
A popular breast surgery procedure, breast enhancements using breast implants are performed for a variety of reasons, including:
- Aesthetic desire for breasts that are larger, firmer and rounder
- Concerns about asymmetry
- The natural ageing process, pregnancy or breast-feeding causing the breasts to lose shape and elasticity
These problem areas can be very effectively rectified by undergoing a breast augmentation procedure. If you identify with one of the above concerns, please schedule a consultation at one of our Melbourne offices with Mr. Maxwell through the online form or simply contact us on (03) 8849 1462 today.
Breast Enlargement Procedure (Breast Augmentation Surgery using Breast Implants)
All procedures are customized for the individual patient. In general however, the procedure for breast enlargement using implants is similar to the following:
- A short incision (about 4cms) is typically required, but each patient is different and this can vary from patient to patient
- This is typically performed in the under-breast crease area (the Inframammary Fold)
- Mr Maxwell then creates a precise surgical pocket for your implant – this requires extensive skill and expertise to get the best results for your breast implant surgery
- The implants are then carefully inserted into the breast pocket
- A specially designed funnel may sometimes be used to insert the implant into your breast pocket
- At the end of the surgery, the incision is closed with dissolving stitches placed deep into the skin surface.
- This may mean that NO stitches will needed to be removed following your surgery, but this can vary
- Mr Maxwell will prioritise a NO DRAIN procedure to give you a DRAIN FREE recovery period whenever this is feasible (and in a standard breast augmentation procedure by a Breast Specialist, it is unusual for drain tubes to be used)
- The suture (incision) line is covered with a water proof dressing and a soft crop top bra is fitted
- You’ll be given precise instructions for your healing period including what garments to wear
- You’ll typically have access to the Patient Care Team and/or to your Plastic Surgeon Mr Maxwell following your Surgical Procedure should you have any urgent questions or needs
Before and After Photos: Breast Implant Surgery by Plastic Surgeon Mr Richard Maxwell
At the first session, you will have the opportunity to discuss:
- the various types of breast implants available - round or tear-drop (also called 'anatomical' or ‘form-stable'), silicone or saline, textured or smooth surfaced
- the location of the implant pockets - in front of the pectoral muscle (‘sub-glandular'), or behind the pectoral muscle (‘sub-muscular' or ‘retro-pectoral')
As for insertion of breast implants, Mr Maxwell only uses the incision under the breasts, also known as ‘infra-mammary'. If you decide to proceed with the surgery, a second consultation is arranged at which you will have the opportunity to finalise the size and shape of the implants and the location of the pocket.
Mr. Maxwell will also further assist you with exploration of the risks and benefits associated with your breast surgical procedure.
Surgical technique for breast enhancement
A day-stay at the hospital and conducted under general anaesthesia, selected implants are inserted into sub-glandular or sub-pectoral pockets via a 5 - 6 cm incision under the breast.
At the end of the procedure, the incisions are closed with a dissolving suture running under the skin and a waterproof dressing is applied. An elasticised band may be placed across the top of the breasts to prevent the implants from riding up, and support bra is fitted.
Antibiotics and painkillers are prescribed.
Suction drains are usually not required.
Breast augmentation aftercare
The patient is reviewed 7 - 10 days following the procedure.
- The support bra is worn day and night for 10 days, then by day for the next 4 weeks.
- Walking is encouraged in the early post-operative period, as is arm movement within the limits of comfort - Jogging and working out may be resumed after 6 weeks.
- Patients may generally return to work after 10 days, unless their job involves heavy lifting.
There is a final review at 4 months following the surgery.
To further discuss your options for breast enhancement or implants in Melbourne, we invite you to schedule a breast augmentation consultation with Mr. Maxwell by contacting his main rooms in Malvern. Mr. Maxwell also specialises in breast reduction surgery and gynaecomastia/male breast reduction.
NEXT STEPS for a Consultation
Book your Initial Surgery Consultation
• Email us or Call on (03) 8849 1462 to arrange your surgeon consultation appointment.
• A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral
• Book a consultation with your Surgeon by paying the Consultation Fee (usually $250)
What to Bring to your Plastic Surgeon Consultation
• Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
• Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
Want more information before scheduling your Plastic Surgeon consultation?
• Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
• Book a Complimentary Nurse Consultation (FREE)
• Organise a phone call with Patient Advisor (FREE)
• Attend our Regular Practice EVENT (FREE) – meet Surgeons, Patient Care Advisor and speak to other past patients
• Organise a Skype call consultation with a Surgeon (available for Interstate patients)
• Speak with a past patient that has had the procedure – contact us
• Browse our Frequently Asked Questions including including how to choose a Surgeon for your procedure
Please contact us using this form to arrange to book a consultation with our Specialist Plastic Surgeon or to speak with our Patient Care Advisor.
Send an enquiry form today or phone (03) 8849 1462 during Clinic Hours.