Liposuction Procedure in Melbourne, VIC
Achieve your body goals, book a consultation at our Melbourne liposuction clinic
Liposuction is the most-performed cosmetic surgery procedure worldwide. Also known as Suction-Assisted Liposuction (SAL), excellent results can be achieved with minimal down-time and minimal scarring.
One of Melbourne’s respected plastic surgeons, Mr Maxwell specialises in body-contouring by liposuction, which is frequently used as an adjunct to other surgeries. Liposuction can be performed on all areas of the body where fat deposits have accumulated, for example:
- The jowls (the area along the jaw)
- Under the chin (‘submental’)
- Outer and inner thighs
- Inner knees
- Back rolls
- Arms and armpit rolls
- The breasts in males with gynaecomastia
These are all areas which are very resistant to dieting. The best liposuction results are achieved when:
- The fat deposits are localised
- The skin is still somewhat elastic
- The patient is close to his/her ideal body weight
- The younger the patient the better the chance that the skin excess will ‘take up’, so that surgical removal of the excess skin will not be required.
Before and after liposuction results at our Melbourne clinic
Liposuction surgical procedure
The length of the procedure and the type of anaesthesia used depends upon the number of areas being treated. Multiple areas can be treated in the same treatment session. Liposuction on its own is generally performed as a day stay procedure in hospital, either under sedation or full general anaesthetic. Smaller areas can be treated as an office procedure.
To begin treatment, very small (1cm) incisions are made over the area where the fat cells are to be removed. A surgical instrument called a cannula is then inserted into the layer of fat underneath the skin. The fat cells deposits are broken up and are removed by suction through the cannula.
Particular attention is given to prevention of blood clotting in the leg veins by means of below-knee compression stockings, external foot or calf compression, and thinning of the blood.
Liposuction aftercare advice
- Bruising and swelling occur immediately after the procedure – Firm compression of the suctioned areas is critical to the success of the procedure and a garment is worn following the procedure.
- Some of the small incisions for the cannula may be left open to allow blood to drain out rather than accumulate inside, as this may result in fibrosis (scarring) which makes for a poorer result
- Most patients are able to return to work after a few days of rest.
For more information on any of our body contouring procedures and the estimated cost, please contact Mr. Maxwell to schedule a consultation at our Melbourne liposuction clinic.
NEXT STEPS for a Consultation
Book your Initial Surgery Consultation
• Email us or Call on (03) 8849 1462 to arrange your surgeon consultation appointment.
• A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral
• Book a consultation with your Surgeon by paying the Consultation Fee (usually $250)
What to Bring to your Plastic Surgeon Consultation
• Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
• Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
Want more information before scheduling your Plastic Surgeon consultation?
• Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
• Book a Complimentary Nurse Consultation (FREE)
• Organise a phone call with Patient Advisor (FREE)
• Attend our Regular Practice EVENT (FREE) – meet Surgeons, Patient Care Advisor and speak to other past patients
• Organise a Skype call consultation with a Surgeon (available for Interstate patients)
• Speak with a past patient that has had the procedure – contact us
• Browse our Frequently Asked Questions including including how to choose a Surgeon for your procedure
Please contact us using this form to arrange to book a consultation with our Specialist Plastic Surgeon(s) or to speak with our Patient Care Advisor.
Send an enquiry form today or phone (03) 8849 1462 during Clinic Hours.